Home-Based Businesses

Running a business out of your home gives many entrepreneurs the best combination of flexibility and cost savings. The City of Maple Heights is supportive of home-based businesses and welcomes diversity across the City’s Business Community. We encourage you to complete the Business Contact Form and stay in touch with the Department of Planning and Development.

Home-based businesses are required to obtain a Conditional Use Permit from the Planning and Zoning Commission prior to beginning business operations. Review the steps and information below in order to start your home-based business. Please note, if you are interested in opening a child day care in your home, there are additional requirements to the ones listed below. Please contact the Department of Building for assistance. If you have any questions, please contact the Department of Planning and Development.

  1. Review the Home-Based Business Regulations.
  2. Request a Conditional Use Permit by completing the Planning and Zoning Commission application. A site plan, floor plan, copy of the applicant’s driver’s license, and $300 appearance fee are required.
  3. Appear before the Planning and Zoning Commission. If the Conditional Use Permit is approved, it will be valid for three (3) years. The permit will need to be renewed every three years by the Commission and is not transferrable to any other person, property, or to another owner if the property owner changes.
  4. Open your home-based business and stay in contact with the Department of Planning and Development for opportunities and possible funding support.

Contact Us

Gina Pieragostine
Administrative Assistant
(216) 587-9032

Maple Heights City Hall, 2nd Floor
5353 Lee Road
Maple Heights, Ohio 44137

Monday – Friday
8:30a – 5:00p